Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Kentucky Derby Has a Saltdogs Connection

Kentucky Derby Has a Local Connection
May 7th Race will be of Interest to Saltdogs Pitcher

(Lincoln, NE) - This 131st running of the Kentucky Derby will be of great interest to Lincoln Saltdogs Pitcher Alex Carbajal. His brother-in-law, Craig Dollase, is the trainer for Derby contender Wilko, a Chestnut colt and the son of Awesome Again, a Breeder's Cup Classic winner and the youngest trainer ever to win a Breeder's Cup race.

During the off-season the Saltdogs' southpaw, a native of Rosemead, California, helped his brother-in-law with the horses in the Dollase Racing stable in preparation for the 2005 racing season. "I helped Craig and his father with the horses and their sets. I was there to organize the work-outs and make sure everything went smoothly," said Carbajal. "The horses are real athletes and each has a unique personality. It was a great learning experience for me."

Wilko, a European born horse named after Jonny Wilkinson, the famous English rugby player who led England to the Rugby World Cup title in 2003, qualified for the Derby by winning the 2004 Breeder's Cup Juvenile.

Horse racing is in Carbajal's blood. His late father, Sal, was a trainer at the Santa Anita Racetrack and Alex spent a lot of time learning about life at the track. "I've been around the horse track all my life. Horse racing is a lot like baseball. I get butterflies before a race where we have an entry," said Carbajal. "I am really excited for Craig and Wilko." This is his brother-in-law's first entry into the Kentucky Derby and Carbajal hopes it will be a special one, "I'll be in here in Lincoln on Derby Day working out, but I'll be glued to the TV alongside with my teammates," said Carbajal. "I'll have to talk to TJ and schedule my starts around the Preakness and Belmont, if everything works out well for us."

#Saltdogs

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Len Clark is the Director of Broadcasting and Communications for the Lincoln Saltdogs.

Powered by Blogger