Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Allen Named Pitching Coach

Baseball veteran Jim Allen has been named the new pitching coach of the Lincoln Saltdogs. Allen replaces Kennie Steenstra, who left for a position with the Single A - Delmarva Shorebirds (Baltimore Orioles).

“I learned of the opening through my good friend Jim Haller (an Omaha native), who was a first round draft choice of the Dodgers,” said Allen. “In talking with Jim, and my friends in the baseball circle, I heard many positives about the (Northern) League and the Lincoln organization. I can’t wait to see the ballpark.”

Allen has spent 30 years with the San Diego Padres organization pitching batting practice. Signed out of Cal Western by the Padres as a player, Allen also spent seven years in the Los Angeles Dodger’s organization. During the 1972 season, he played with Saltdogs Manager Tim Johnson in El Paso.

Allen is looking forward to working with the Saltdogs’ pitching talent. “I am going to emphasize, and teach, the importance of balancing mechanics and mental attitude. My goal is to teach the player to use the entire body; not just the arm and how to change speeds with a goal of getting that first pitch over for a strike,” commented Allen.

The Phoenix, Arizona native is married to Renate and currently resides in Goodyear, Arizona. He has a daughter living in Australia and two grandchildren.

The Lincoln Saltdogs are scheduled to open the season at 7:05 pm on Friday, May 20th in Sioux Falls, SD against the Sioux Falls Canaries at Sioux Falls Stadium.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Congratulations on the new blog site. Nice name, too. I hope there are more readers than myself, although it appears I am the first to comment. I am looking forward to the 2005 season and hope it is as much fun as the last few; maybe we'll win a few more games this year!

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Name:
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, United States

Len Clark is the Director of Broadcasting and Communications for the Lincoln Saltdogs.

Powered by Blogger